Virtual Coaching for Beginning Zoom Teachers
with Jan Holter Kittok
Suddenly, all teaching is online. Are you one of the many teachers caught off guard with some computer skills, little or no training, and no experience in virtual classrooms?
I hear you. Join me for a series of 3 small group coaching sessions for world language teachers. We are in this together!
What will the coaching sessions be like?
- Three, 90-minute online Zoom sessions
- Watch a short (10 – 15 min) language teaching demonstration
- Participants take turns sharing the screen for practice and coaching
- Question and answer time
- Community sharing and problem-solving
- Participate in a small learning community. Each class is limited to 10 students. Everyone gets the chance to share their screen for simulated teaching and coaching.
- See how the screen looks from the student view as teachers show their screens and you are a student in their classroom.
- Get supportive feedback from the coach and group members.
- Learn what other teachers are doing to adapt from live to virtual classrooms.
- Have a safe place to take risks, flub up, and chuckle as we learn. We’re all beginners.
What specific topics will be addressed?
The sessions are designed for beginners who are using Zoom on laptops or iPads to deliver instruction. Demonstrations will focus on strategies for comprehension-based language teaching in grades 4-12. The emphasis is on listening and reading activities. There will be some discussion of writing and speaking activities. Technology skills include the basics of Zoom: setting up a class, changing names, using PowerPoint in presentations, adding video and audio to presentations, engaging students with online chat, reactions and separating the class into small groups.
When will the sessions be held?
Sessions are scheduled for three consecutive Monday evenings from 6:00 – 7:3o Central Time: March 30, April 6, and April 13.
I’m so up for this! Sign me up!
Interested in upcoming events with Jan Holter Kittok?
Subscribe to Jan’s email list for monthly news and event announcements.