Content-Based Instruction with Storytelling (CBIS):
Game-changing Professional Development Series
Educator in Service workshops are unique. Jan’s innovative combination of teaching nonfiction interdisciplinary culture topics in the target language using comprehensible input and other natural language acquisition principles is not found anywhere else.
It’s time to rethink the common world language curriculum. Typical early levels focus on students talking about themselves and learning to become global tourists. It’s time for a shift to developing students as global citizens. They need more knowledge about the world and how it works. Building background knowledge in geography, history, biography and global issues starting in beginning levels gives students what they need for understanding more complex nonfiction at the upper levels and as life-long learners.
1). Rethinking HOW We Teach: Science Meets Classroom Practice
2). Rethinking WHAT we Teach: ContentBased Storytelling (CBS)
3). Step-by-Step Advanced Teacher Training
4).Building Units, Courses and Programs
Teachers will learn how to:
- develop a world language curriculum of interdisciplinary culture topics neglected in the US education system: cultural comparisons, global geography, world history, biographies, international perspectives on current events, etc.
- reach all learners by applying the principles of how the brain acquires language
- accelerate language proficiency development by using interactive narratives
- conduct class in comprehensible target language, even with novice learners
- engage and motivate learners through active participationbreak free from the grammar-based syllabus used for the past 50+ years, and establish a language-acquisition rich environment that allows students to learn naturally
“Your presentations were inspirational and informative, relevant and useful. Your presentation skills are world-class…Your workshops were well prepared, exposing us to a range of research, strategies and ideas…Your enthusiasm was boundless and you are a wonderfully talented entertainer…You made us laugh, you made us think and you made us learn some Swedish!”
Association of Chinese and Mongolian International Schools
Contact Jan to bring an inservice to your school/city.
Specialty Inservices available: FLES We Can! (for K-8 teachers) and Submersion or Immersion? (for immersion faculty of any language)