This inservice is designed for teachers with at least a basic understanding of teaching with Comprehensible Input (CI) and Content-Based Storytelling (CBS) or Content-Based Instruction (CBI).
The mountaintop of professional development – teachers are empowered to let go of a reliance on the textbook publisher to make curricular decisions to making those professional decisions themselves. The new curriculum will reflect students’ interests, what students need in a global era and what teachers are passionate about teaching. Students will develop language proficiency skills and be more knowledgeable for global citizenship!
- Use the backwards planning process to describe program exit learning targets
- Use the backwards planning process to describe learning targets for each previous course
Learn from Planning Tools
- Walk through several national documents to glean information from National Standards for Foreign Language Learning, Global Competency and Skills for 21st Century Learners
- Is there alignment with the drafted learning targets? If there are gaps, how can they be filled?
- What are possible units of study for each course? How might students demonstrate their content knowledge?
- What language skills are needed to perform the tasks for each unit?
- What are we doing already that can fit into the new curriculum?
- What needs to be created? Who will create it? When? How?
- What will we still need to implement the curriculum with fidelity?